Kontrast
Czcionka
Polska

Museums

Muzeum Narodowe fot Anna Benicewicz-Miazga Muzeum Narodowe - fot. Anna...

National Museum – The Palace of Kraków Bishops

On the way to the exit of Cathedrall we should note the stately eighteenth century epitaphs of Kraków bishops placed on the pillars separating nave from the aisles. These late Baroque cartoiches were made of the wo most common native sorts of marble: from Chęciny (epitaph of Andrew Załuski), and black marble extracted in Dębnik near Kraków (epitaph of Konstanty Szaniawski). The Stairs we cloimbed to enter the cathedral cemetery now lead us down to the castle squae across which we can see the former Palace of Kraków Bishops, now home to the National Museum in Kielce.

 

The palace is the only emaning practically unchanged building, which represents the architecture typical of the Waza period in the seventeenth century (during the reigns of kings: Sigismund III, Władysław IV and John Casimirus).

The founder of the palace was Jakub Zadzik, Bishop of Kraków, who commissioned the work to an architect - most likely Jan Trevano - and a contractor Tomasz Poncino. In the years 1637 to 1641 the main body of the building was erected in the style of early Baroque with hexagonal towers at the corners. Then, in the years 1720 to 1746 the palace was enlarged with wings designed by Kacper Bażanka. Today it houses the National Museum. In the ceremonial halls on the upper floor on the ground floor, on the premises formerly occupied by the episcopal administration, is now the Memorial of Marshal Józef Piłsudski  and temporary exhibitions. The northern wing houses a gallery of Polish paintings.

 

In the loggia with triple plaques embedded here in 1914 to commemorate the stay of Marshal Piłsudski's Legions, and in 1991 after the visit of the Holy Father, Blessed John Paul II on the 3rd June that year. Palace was a headquarter for Marshal Józef Piłsudski, that is why inside the building is special Memorial of Marshal. It was set up in 1938.

 

Unfortunatelly most of decorations and equipment of memorial have been lost during and after Second World War - becaouse of German and USSR occupations.

In the first days of September 1939, when Poland was invaded by Germans (1.09.1939) and his allies  - USSR (17.09.1939) the square in front of baroque palace has become a Polish soldiers camp (prisoners of war). Some of them have been mordured by Germans in this place. Survivors had been evacuated one day before 10th september, when Adolf Hitler has arrived to Kielce and visited Marshal Piłsudski sanctuary.

 

After German occupation, from 1945 Bishop's Palace and all neighbourhood were prison area, controlled by the soviets and polish communists. Their leaders have been trained by soviet's intelligence before Second World War and made houndreds crimes on Polish patriots. This tragic times has ended with uprising in 1956, when Władyslaw Gomółka - comunist but exprisoner of stalin's services, has became head of party in Poland.

 

address:

25-010 Kielce, Pl. Zamkowy 1\

http://mnki.pl/eng/branches

Kielce History Museum

The idea of creating a museum dedicated to the history of Kielce dates back to the beginnings of Kielce museology. The history of the city has been materialized in the form of exhibitions and collections of the museum of Polish Tourist Association, created in Kielce in 1908. That exhibitions referred to the oldest collections of the Academy of Mining and the Voivodeship School and recalled both the activities of the Head of Kielce Poviat, collector and the patron of the art - Tomasz Zieliński and the passion for collecting of Jaroński family.

 

In the years 1908-1933 the Museum of Polish Tourist Association governed by Tadeusz Szymon Włoszek, a veteran of the January Uprising, gathered plenty of  environmental, geological, archaeological and historical exhibits due to the idea of creation in The Kingdom of Poland a regionalist art movement.

 

Over the years, several ideas accompany numerous attempts related to organize, inter alia, Kielce History Museum or The Regional Museum. The latter initiative was also linked with the history of the Palace of the Kraków Bishops in Kielce. In 1936 the history of the city had been presented by The Polish Tourist and Sightseeing Society. During the Word War II the collections had been dispersed. In the 90s, in the Department of History of the National Museum there appeared other versions of the scenario of a permanent historical exhibition of the history of Kielce, modified according to the current needs and projects of new locations.

After many decades, the idea of ​​a city museum started to materialize. The turning point came on September 1, 2006, when the  Kielce City Council passed a resolution to initiate the activity of the new museum facility , and on October 30, 2006 the institution has received its headquarters in a renovated nineteenth - century building in the strict centre of the city on Św. Leonarda Street  4 .

 

The exibition consists of two parts - one for temporary exhibitions and the second one which is permanent presents the whole history of the city from the beginning to the present day.

 

Basic information concerning visits to the exhibition of Kielce History Museum.

Adult individuals and families with children may visit the Museum without prior reservation at following hours:

 

 

Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8.00 a.m. - 4.00 p.m.,

Saturday and Sunday 8.00 a.m. - 5.00 p.m.,

Thursday 10.00 a.m.  9.00 p.m. - 4 p. m.

the Museum is closed on Mondays

 

 

Tickets are available at the ticket office.


GENERAL ADMISSION PRICES: Adult – 7 PLN, children - 4 PLN/person, admission on Wednesdays is free 

GUIDES for individuals: 20 PLN

MUSEUM LESSON: 50 PLN

WORKSHOPS: 4 PLN

 

For additional information please contact:

(+48 41) 340 55 26

http://www.mhki.kielce.eu

 

 

 

Kielce Rural Museum (The Laszczyk Manor)

Complex of "Laszczyki" manor house

A municipal manor house from the end of the 18th century (modelled on the local residences of canons in the complex of chapter buildings); unique because of the material used for construction — wood; the architectural form of the manor house itself presents late-Baroque features; while the fencing — traditional local construction.

 

Today it is headquaters of the Museum of the Kielce Village.

source and more information

 

25-013 Kielce, ul. Jana Pawła II No 6

Open: Monday to Friday, Sunday 10.00 am – 3.00 pm

http://mwk.com.pl/pl/sg/nasze_obiekty/dworek_laszczykow_w_kielcach/

Muzeum Zabawek i Zabawy fot Anna Benicewicz-Miazga Muzeum Zabawek i Zabawy -...

Museum of Toys and Play

The Museum of Toys and Play in Kielce is the biggest and the oldest museum of that kind in Poland. Visitors may look over a few thousands of historical exhibits, folk toys, dolls, model cars, boats, airplanes and railways from all over the world. Visiting the museum is a fantastic adventure for every generation, regardless of age. It presents elements that had been creating the fun of children that were brought up in the pre-digital culture. The participants of the interactive exhibitions can learn the history of toys and touch the toys in the play areas and, in summer, in the courtyard of the museum.  The institution continually offers new activities and graphics workshops for both children and parents.

The Museum of Toys and Play is located in a historic 19th-century building of the former covered markets.  Every day at noon from the clock tower of the museum a which from Holy Cross Mountains flies off. 

 

MUSEUM OF TOYS AND PLAY
25-367 Kielce
Wolności Square 2,
 

To book please call: (+48 41) 34 337 06 or  e-mail:

The museum is open daily from 9.00 am until 5.00 pm except Mondays.

 

http://www.muzeumzabawek.eu/

 


Laurens Hammond Museum - Playtime and Toy Museum Branch

ul. Kościuszki 13, 25-310 Kielce, tel. / phone / 41 344 40 78

www.muzeumzabawek.eu/muzeum-hammonda

The Geological Museum in Kielce

The Geological Museum operates as Department of Geological Institute of the National research Institute in Kielce. The rich collections of the museum contains: specimens of rocks, fossils and minerals related to the geologic history of Świętokrzyskie Mountains called also as Holy Cross Mountains.The museum has also a diorama showing the reconstruction of the worl'ds oldest four-l egged animal- Tetrapod.

 

Location:

25-953 Kielce, ul. Zgoda 21
Open: Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 3.00 pm
Admission free

Castle Hill - Institute of Design and Centre of Patriotic and Civic Reflection

The history of prison in Kielce dates back to half of the nineteenth century.  In 1816 in the Kingdom of Polish was  established and in one of the proveniences – krakowskie county Kielce was the capital city. The prison was placed in reconstructed and adapted to the new features former stables of the Bishops of Krakow. In the 70s of the XIX century in all buildings, except the southern wing, the first floor was built and in this  shape prison complex operated until the end of the 70s of the twentieth century. After the January Uprising in prison were closed hundreds of polish people who had fought with Russians. Then they were sent to Siberia or placed in prisons.

 

Several d insurgents were sentenced to death. In the beginning of Twentieth century in Kielce prison were revolutionaries of 1905, independence activists, many fighters Polish Socialist Party. In the years 1918-1939 in prison were imprisoned criminal and political prisoners accused about communist activities After the outbreak of World War II in the walls of the prison held a POW camp for Polish soldiers captured in the fighting in the north of Kielce , and  in October prison was taken over by the Gestapo. In the central pavilion there was created political division in which the persons suspected of activities against the Nazi Germans , including many members of the resistance.

 

They were tortured here in the room of the chapel on the first floor of the pavilion. There were frequent cases of killings and executions of prisoners in the prison. Many prisoners were sent to concentration camps. By Kielce prison until January 1945 over not less than 16 thousand of people. On January 15 prison was taken over by the NKVD , and Security Office. Cells were  filled with soldiers of Polish underground. The were tortured here and  executed. On 4 August 1945 imprisoned soldiers were release by rebounded branch of Home Army under the command of Anthony Hedy "Grey" and Stephen Bembińskiego "Harnas". The repression of the Polish underground soldiers in prison UB lasted to 1956.

 

During Polish People's Republic in these buildings was a detention centre. In 1979, the prisoners were transferred the new Prison on Piaski and since then this place has emptied. In 1995, a group of inhabitants of Kielce organized  in the west wing of the prison  the Museum of National Remembrance - Kielce prison from 1939 to 1945. In the  basements there were  exposed memorabilia associated with the struggle Home Army with the Nazi occupiers, and mementos of prisoners Safety Authority. Museum functioned until 2005 . After the acquisition by the city of crumbling buildings in the former prison was founded Castle Hill budget unit, which consists of the Institute of Design and the Centre of Patriotic and Civic Reflection.

 

Institute of Design

http://ww.idkielce.pl/en/

 

Centre of Patriotic and Civic Reflection

http://www.ompio.pl/en/

 

Adress: 25-010 Kielce,  Zamkowa Street 3

Diocesan Museum in Kielce

Diocesan Museum is situated inside Bishop's Palace which was built in the years 1886 to 1890 over the walls of an eighteenth century canonry. today some of its rooms house exhibitions of sacred art monuments. Expositions may be visited individually or in groups and you may ask for a guided tour with someone from the museum's personnel. Entrance to the museum is located in the inner countryard.

 

Jana Pawła II Street No 3

25-013 Kielce

 

www.muzeum.kielce.pl

Museum of International Dialogue in Kielce

Opened in 2012, the Museum of Intercultural Dialogue is the newest and the most multimedia-oriented branch of the National Museum in Kielce. The permanent exhibition area of 200m2 is situated in a specially darkened space.

 

The Visitors, carried by voices of contemporary philosophers and theoreticians of intercultural dialogue: Martin Buber, Ferdinand Ebner, Emmanuel Levinas, or Father Jozef Tischner, reaches the following part of the exhibition: the two entrances to the Black Hall where the permanent exhibition of the museum was created. This hall has a form of a labyrinth symbolizing the obstacles accompanying in building intercultural dialogue. This concept refers to the history which repeatedly showed that dialogue is a difficult tool of communication, it requires efforts, and it is preceded by questing for the best solution through overcoming obstacles.

 

The heart of the exhibition is the so-called Triangle of Diversity, containing multimedia presentations on the history, culture and tradition of national, ethnic and religious minorities. Interactive presentations designed in accordance with a consistent visual system contain a variety of photographic and sound sources. The exhibition involves a film, 10 multimedia presentations and 6 educational games intended for audiences of various age groups.

 

http://mnki.pl/mdk



Kielce City Hall, Rynek 1, 25-303 Kielce
tel. 41-36-76-553, fax 41-36-76-552

e-mail:
Investor Assistance Centre

e-mail: +48 41 36 76 557, 41 36 76 571